Veal filet kebab with a licorice sauce, potato stew with lemon and green coffee
Cooking time40 minutes
- 600 g veal filet mignon (French farm-raised preferred)
- 4 licorice kebab skewers
- 10 g licorice powder
- 4 uniformly-sized, beautiful potatoes with firm skin
- 1 freshly-squeezed lemon
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- coarse salt, salt, ground pepper
- For the green coffee veal sauce:
- 1.5 kg veal bones and trimmings
- 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 shallot, 1/4 of a bay leaf, 1 clove of garlic, 1 tomato, 1 sprig of thyme, 2.5 g ground pepper
- 100 g butter
- 10 grains of green coffee
- 30 g tomato concentrate
Trim the veal filet mignon and cut it into cubes of 3 cm per side. Leave it to marinate in the fridge with a little olive oil and licorice powder.
Coat the calf bones and trimmings in olive oil and a little butter. Add the crushed garlic, shallot, onion, carrot and tomato mirepoix, thyme, bay leaf, crushed pepper and tomato paste; sauté, coloring everything evenly. Pour in half the white sauces and reduce it to two-thirds. Add the rest of the cream and let it simmer slowly for 40 minutes. Skim regularly. Remove it from the heat and leave to infuse with the green coffee beans. Strain it with a cheesecloth and keep warm.
Wash and cook the potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 20 min. Check for doneness with the tip of a knife. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small uniform cubes.
In a deep saucepan, heat the heavy cream with the lemon juice and season. Add the potato chunks and season if necessary. Keep warm. Skewer the veal onto the kebab sticks and grill slowly; turn regularly, making sure to keep them pink in the middle.